Hi there! This is Day #16 of my “31 Days To An Organized Home” challenge. If you missed it, you can catch up with Day #1 here!
OK, “dreaded” is probably a little dramatic.
But this one IS a doozy! Since we moved in, the front room has sort of been a catch all – extra furniture, boxes of office and school supplies, our printers, The Husband’s guitars and band equipment… Basically it’s become an extension of our garage (and that is scary)! We just haven’t really determined exactly what this room will grow up to be. To be honest, I am not sure that will be solved in this challenge but at least we can get it more in order.
Nothing pretty about this so just jumping in. Here’s the “Before” pics:
This is such a “hodge-podge” of stuff. Aside from the antique love seat (which we just moved in here to get our Dining area in shape yesterday so that was just temporary), here are the following pieces of furniture we are dealing with:
- Trundle bed (which I like and we actually need – we are down to three bedrooms from five so this is a much needed extra bed!)
- TV Stand
- Glider & matching ottoman (so comfy and I rocked two babies in this one – this is hard to get rid of!)
- Arm chair
- Two mismatched side tables (each holding a printer right now!)
- Two pine corner shelves
- Kids “Thomas The Tank” chair and Kids easel
- Kids “Buzz Lightyear” table and 2 chairs
In addition to all of this, there are a boxes of school and craft supplies (and of course that ridiculous random box of “Data CDs with pictures and music” and unidentifiable cables that need to be figured out….)
So a few hours in and it’s kicking our butts. It’s taking a LOT longer than expected since I am actually going through the boxes.
Thankfully we received a flyer yesterday announcing that our neighborhood is having a garage sale in November. That actually has helped motivate – there are lots of things going into that pile!! You might recall from my 10/1 post that I detest garage sales… I am willing to give it one more try just to hopefully make a couple hundred bucks back towards this home organization process!
Here’s the latest progress. Many hours later and it doesn’t seem like we have gotten anywhere yet… what we have accomplished is listed below…
- We moved the bed to the opposite side – once made and pillows added it will be a less cluttered view from the front door than the TV stand or the desk
- The desk – we moved this back in from the garage along with the desk chair. I don’t know about keeping it yet. I am going to try and spruce it up and we’ll see whether it just gets replaced or not…
- We went through boxes
- We hung a few pictures
- I bought some new curtains (since those pictured came with the house and I do not really like them). Then I changed my mind about the ones that I bought so not hung yet.
- The tile is still awful. 😉
- We are going to bed.
More tomorrow. We also hung a few things in the Dining area arch so I’ll also add those to yesterday’s post tomorrow.