I am excited to be a part of a fun dessert challenge today with Sheryl at Lady Behind The Curtain and this challenge has TWO required ingredients: Dough and Almond Paste!
Almond paste is an interesting ingredient but you know how I like to create fun, budget recipes so here are some super delicious and easy (and budget friendly) Puff Pastry Almond Twists! Perfect for a sweet breakfast treat or to take along to an Easter brunch.
I started by toasting some sliced almonds – they just smell delicious when they are golden brown and toasty. While the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup, I actually toasted a whole cup so I could use the extra in salads and on cereal this week. Healthy treat and a time saver!
Next I pulled out my defrosted puff pastry dough – a package comes with two sheets and one sheet will make 10 twists so I have the extra sheet stored in the freezer to use for another recipe.
After rolling out the dough into a 12 x 12 square, I sprinkled half of the dough with some almond paste, brown sugar and toasted almonds. Almond paste is actually super crumbly and I am only using about 1/3 of the can for this entire recipe, so I will transfer, seal & freeze the rest for another recipe.
I folded the dough over and rolled it out again and then sliced the rectangle into ten 1″ strips. Once sliced, the strips are twisted and laid onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
Into the oven they go for 16-19 minutes until puffy and golden brown. I then placed them on a cooling rack – you want them to be cool when you glaze them. See the fat twist in the midle? yeah, he’s mine so don’t get any ideas. 😉
I wanted to use more of the almond paste for the glaze so that was a new challenge. I used butter, almond paste, confectioners sugar and heavy cream to make the glaze and piped it onto the twists. (Tip: you can use a small ziploc bag and snip off just a wee corner for an easy, disposable piping bag!)
After the glaze was chilled, I piped it on and sprinkled with more toasted almonds and there you have it! Delicious and budget friendly Almond Twists. That’s my kind of recipe!
Recipe: Almond Twists
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 4 tbsp almond paste, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1/4 heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375*
- On a sugar coated board, roll out the puff pastry dough to a 12″ x 12″ square.
- Break up 2 tbsp of almond paste into pea sized crumbs and sprinkle over 1/2 the dough.
- Sprinkle about 2/3 of the toasted almonds and the brown sugar over the same half of the dough.
- Fold the dough over and roll out again, forming a 12 x 10 rectangle.
- Slice the rectangle into 10 one inch strips.
- Twist each strip and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
- Allo the twists to cool completely.
- While those are cooling, place the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, remaining almond paste and heavy cream to make the glaze. Once throughly heated through and whisked together, remove from the heat. Once at room temperature, spoon the glaze into a small piping bag and place into the refrigerator to chill for about an hour.
- Drizzle the glaze over the twists and sprinkle with the remaining crumbled almonds. You can chill the glazed twists for a bit to allow it to set. The twists can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)