I think it goes without saying that dark chocolate and peppermint kind of go hand in hand, especially at the holidays! While I have been making my own peppermint bark for years, I decided to take a decadent little short cut for these delicious dark chocolate peppermint bark cookies.
My secret weapon? I actually used Hershey’s Peppermint Bark Bells. Shhh! They were so easy to chop up and incorporate and they added such great peppermint flavor that I didn’t need to add any peppermint extract into the batter or anything else at all.
This is a super easy recipe too so you can make them ahead and freeze them for your holiday gatherings. You may want to double the batch, though. Enjoy!
Recipe: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8-10 Hershey’s Peppermint Bark Bells, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper or silpats.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 2/3 cup the dark chocolate chips for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave in additional 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between each time just until they are melted.
- Set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add melted chocolate and mix well.
- Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture to the chocolate mixture a little at a time, mixing just until blended.
- Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets and press slightly to create small discs.
- Evenly distribute a few pieces of the chopped peppermint bark on top of each cookie.
- For best results, return the prepped cookies to the refrigerator to chill for 10-15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until the cookies are done and have a slightly cracked appearance.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12 cookies