Healthy & Easy Crock Pot Sesame Chicken

Sometimes life just screams for take-out.  It’s quick and easy after a long day but sadly it’s usually high in fat {and it’s generally not too “easy” on the wallet either}.

We LOVE Sesame Chicken but it’s normally deep fried so I have been looking around the InterWebs and came up with a lighter Crock Pot Sesame Chicken as a healthy lunch or dinner alternative

There are tons of recipes out there for crock pot sesame chicken and a lot of them call for the chicken to be shredded at the end.

Since I wanted mine to be more like Chinese take-out – without the deep frying part – I wanted cubed chicken but I am sure it will taste just as delicious if you shred it too.  In that case just throw the whole chicken breasts in and shred at the end.

The sesame oil and rice vinegar can be found in the Asian foods section of your grocery store and can be used in loads of tasty dishes so they are a great addition to your pantry and they have a long shelf life too.

Served over rice this dish packs about 340 calories per serving.  If you want to go even lighter, you can serve the chicken in lettuce wraps too.  Delicious.

Healthy & Easy Crock Pot Sesame Chicken with ALittleClaireification.com #crockpot #recipes #chinese #slowcooker

I’ve joined up with 11 others on this “healthy recipe” quest so make sure to check out all of the other quick & easy recipe ideas below. Happy cooking and here’s to a healthy 2014!

Linking up to THESE fabulous parties!

Subscribe via EMAIL | Follow me on TWITTER | Follow me on Pinterest

12 Quick & Easy Healthy Meals with ALittleClaireification.com #healthy #crockpot #recipes #chinese

Chicken Posole Casserole By Betsy at Betsy Life

Coconut Chicken Tenders by Brandie at Home Cooking Memories

Rustic Meat Pie by Jennifer at The Rebel Chick

Easy Sweet Potato Sliders by Jess at A Million Moments

Easy Black Bean Chili by Kimberly at A Night Owl Blog

Quick, Easy, and Healthy White Chicken Enchilada Soup by Melissa at Bless this Mess

One Pan Salmon & Vegetables by Sara at Mom Endeavors

Tuna Nicoise Frittata by Stephie at Eat Your Heart Out

Bacon, Egg and Spinach Casserole by Vanessa at See Vanessa Craft

Clean Eating: Quick & Healthy Baked Ziti by Wendy at Around My Family Table

Spaghetti Squash with Pesto by Wendy at Choosing Love

Comments

1. says

I made something similar to this, but what I like about yours is the cornstarch to thicken up the sauce. I’ll definitely pin and try this! I’m putting the 12th on my calendar! Great idea!

2. Julie says

Yum! Thanks for posting this. I love sesame chicken, but refuse to fry anything. Plus, I’m in love with my crock pot. Glad to have found you from Stephie’s site. I’m looking forward to this series.

• Claire says

Thank you, Julie! I am so glad you stopped by and are following along with the series – aren’t crock pots the best?? :) Have a great week!

3. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says

We make a version very similar to this one – it’s actually on our menu this week because it sounded good :) Pinning in case I want to give your version a try instead!

4. says

This sounds like a fantastic series and I love this recipe, Claire! Goodness, during the week, we need all the easy, delicious recipes we can get our little hands on! :) Thanks for sharing this – pinning and buffering! Hope the week is going well for you! xo

5. says

OMG! Where has this been all my life – 340 calories!! I am a Pollo-pescetarian or a flexitarian which is someone who only eats fish and poultry, I eat small amounts of beef mince but only maybe once a week so I basically live on chicken, fish, rice, pasta etc. Plus being the new year I want to get into better shape, be healthier and feel healthier since my uncle had a heart attack 2 weeks ago so this is a great recipe that I will definitely be cooking soon!! 😉 Looks so yummy!!

6. Monica Eggleton says

Oh, I love this idea with twelve of you doing something each month with same theme. Great idea, pat yourselves on the back for the idea and now the follow through. As someone visiting your blogs, it is like visiting a family and getting to know theme better.

7. Melanie says

I am so looking forward to making this but I have a silly question. What size crock pot are you using? I’m only cooking for one and have a small crock pot so I would have to adjust the recipe.

• Claire says

Hi Melanie – That is a great question. Ours is a 6 qt. so you could always cut the recipe in half. If you have leftovers, I always suggest freezing since it makes for a quick and easy meal later but you probably know that part! Have a great weekend and I am so glad you stopped by!

8. Bridget says

I have to admit I was quite skeptical about the tomato paste in sesame chicken, but my family and I gobbled it down! Really good.

Trackbacks