Summer is still in full swing here in Florida and it will be hot for a few months to come so we have plenty of pool time left. I’ve created another delicious skinny cocktail in honor of August – a Skinny Dragon Berry Strawberry Basil Lemonade.
It’s perfect for poolside entertaining and it’s so refreshing and delicious that nobody will even realize it’s missing the sugar. And I won’t tell if you won’t.
You may recall the Skinny Birthday Mai Tai I made last month? I used Sweet’N Low to create a skinny simple syrup. So easy and I will be using that recipe in a few more fun themed cocktails over the next few months.
I must say I LOVE the infusion of basil in this one. We grow basil in our patio garden and it’s always on hand around here.
The fresh muddled strawberries give this a very slight pink hue but it’s mostly clear. This recipe calls for hulled strawberries and you know how simple that is?
Just take a small paring knife under the green stem, point downward and carefully cut at an angle while turning the strawberry so you basically cut a triangular divot out of the berry. Easy!
I tried Dragon Berry rum for the first time and it worked perfectly but you could use any berry flavored rum, to be honest. This was such a delicious cocktail and once again I am thrilled about having a low-cal version of what is now a new favorite.
Remember, my “Skinny Simple Syrup” is just one cup of water and two packets of Sweet’N Low and you can keep that chilled and ready to go as needed.
Hope you enjoy this one and don’t forget to check back for more fantastic low calorie cocktails and recipes!
- 1/4 cup fresh Lemon Juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup Skinny Simple Syrup (1 cup water, 2 packets Sweet'N Low)
- 3 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Strawberries Hulled and Sliced
- 1/2 cup Dragon Berry Rum (or berry infused rum of choice)
- Added basil leaf, strawberry and lemon wedge for garnish if desired.
- In a shaker, muddle 3 basil leaves, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and the 2 hulled strawberries.
- Add the Dragon Berry rum and fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake well then strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a strawberry, lemon wedge and a basil leaf if desired.