A few years ago Mr. Claire and I were on our annual excursion to the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot when we discovered ceviche. We’ve found a way to recreate it so thanks to Imagine® Organic Culinary Simmer Sauces for partnering with me on this delicious recipe.
If you’re not familiar with ceviche, it is a Central or South American dish where very fresh seafood is “cooked” by immersing it in citrus juice for an extended period of time.
The acids in the citrus alter the protein structure of the fish or shrimp, creating a texture very much like it would be if you had cooked it using heat. Needless to say, we immediately fell in love with the dish.
The bright acidity of lime juice, a little heat from some hot peppers, the briny taste of the seafood – it’s a magical combination. Their version also contained tomatoes which I understand is an Ecuadorian take on ceviche.
And of course Rob loves that because what self-respecting Italian male doesn’t like tomatoes??
We had always wanted to make a warm version of this dish but never really had the ambition to try it. Then I came across the Latin Veracruz variety of Imagine® Organic Culinary Simmer Sauce. The packet promises “vibrant flavors found in Latin American and Mexican cooking,” and I thought “what if?”
Well, not to toot my own horn here, but TOOT TOOT! The results were much better than I could have imagined. You have to try this one – it’s so easy and packed with flavor. The recipe is below so you can make it too.
Talk about a quick and convenient way to make a delicious meal in just 10 minutes! Imagine® Organic Culinary Simmer Sauces are available in four varieties including Portobello Red Wine, Louisiana Creole, Thai Coconut Curry and, of course, Latin Veracruz.
And, if you love creating quick recipes like me, you need to head right over to the Imagine® Organic Culinary Simmer Sauces Facebook Page. Right now you can enter to win your own “Pan with a Plan” prize pack which includes a saucepan, all four Imagine® Organic Culinary Simmer Sauces, AND a $25 grocery Visa gift card.
Eight (8) winners will be selected each week through November so that’s forty-eight (48!!) winners in all. Good luck!
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile (or jalapeno pepper) seeded and diced
- 1 packet Latin Veracruz Imagine Culinary Simmer Sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes (if you can find the lime juice and cilantro flavor even better)
- 1 can fresh sweet corn, drained
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 - 2 limes cut into wedges
- Tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- Cook onion and Serrano in 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat until onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until just pink, about 1 minute per side.
- Add simmer sauce, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer
- Add corn and canned tomatoes, heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in cocktail glasses or ramekins.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over the mixture and corn chips for scooping.