So we all know the holiday season is extremely busy. From last minute shopping to entertaining guests, it’s hard to find time to eat a good meal, let alone breakfast. We need to STOP… and take time to fuel up, my friends.
This easy Asparagus and Mushroom Omelet with Gouda Cheese is packed with protein and (wait for it…) it’s delicious too so it’s ok if you decide to not share it.
But “Tis’ The Season”, right? I personally kind of love asparagus. If you don’t, you can omit it here and add your fave veggie and we can still be friends, no worries at all.
I chose an Arla Dofino recipe and, while I LOVE Havarti (let’s face it – I’ve never met a cheese I don’t like) and it’s their top selling cheese, I chose their Gouda cheese for my version.
If you DO use asparagus or broccoli or another fresh, crisp veggie (carrots, cauliflower, etc) you have to make sure to cook them and “shock them”. And that does not mean calling them names that would put you on the “naughty list”. It simply means that after you add the veggies to a pot of boiling water for about 4-5 minutes you then transfer them into an ice bath to stop the cooking process so they are cooked but not mushy.
Because mushy veggies = blech. Are you with me on that?
Mushrooms are a little different due their high water content so you want to saute those on the stove top as per the recipe below. The same goes with onions and they pair nicely together in the saute pan and in this omelet.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (I used portabellos)
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 - 5 medium, cooked and warm asparagus spears
- 1⁄3 cup shredded Arla® Dofino® Gouda Cheese
- Preheat the oven to BROIL.
- Too cook the asparagus spears, add them to a small pot of boiling water for about 4-5 minutes.
- Place the spears in an ice bath for a moment to stop the cooking process and set aside.
- In a small or medium oven proof skillet, saute the mushrooms over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and sauté until softened, about 2 more minutes.
- Whisk the eggs with Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, stirring once.
- Let the mixture softly set. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, pull the edges of the egg mixture towards the center, allowing any un-cooked egg to slip into the openings and cook.
- Once the egg is set, top with asparagus spears and sprinkle the surface with the Arla® Dofino® Gouda. Continue cooking for another minute.
- Slide the pan into a preheated broiler and let it continue to cook until the cheese melts and eggs are cooked through - about 1 minute.
- Slip the omelet onto a plate and serve warm or at room temperature.
Hope you enjoy it, my friends!!