This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. #GoldfishMix #CollectiveBias
Ever since he could walk our Littlest has pretty much always wanted to be in the kitchen with us. He loves to help cook and bake so, as he’s gotten older, we always try to include him whenever we are making a recipe that has any kid friendly steps.
It’s great to “keep kids in the mix” in the kitchen so I am also always on the lookout for fun recipes that he can help make – especially recipes where he can pretty much do all of the steps with a little assistance.
These Butterscotch Pretzel Clusters are easy and we had a lot of fun making them together (while trying not to eat all of the pretzel Goldfish crackers along the way).
I absolutely adore sweet and salty snacks so these are right up my alley. I love that little crunch hidden inside the butterscotch coating.
The best part is that if butterscotch is not your thing, you can use chocolate chips with or without the peanut butter chips to create your own combination.
I think having a variety of these on hand for any get together is a great plan (PS: it’s a great time to stock up, too since the 30 oz. cartons of Goldfish crackers are currently on a rollback sale at Walmart!).
With only 5 minutes prep and a little cooling time these are ready to go within half an hour so they are also an excellent last minute treat to serve up.
Hope you enjoy these and make a few memories in the kitchen along the way as well!
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- 2 cups Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers - pretzel variety
- Line a baking sheet or tray with wax paper.
- Place butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute and stir.
- Microwave an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring and stir for 1 minute until thoroughly melted and combined. If needed, microwave again in 15 second increments stirring in between each heating.
- Immediately add the pretzel Goldfish crackers and stir to coat.
- Drop mixture by heaping teaspoons onto prepared tray or into paper candy cups.
- Let stand until firm.
- If necessary, refrigerate until firm - no more than 30 minutes.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
- Yields about 2 dozen candies.
- Substitute 1 cup dark Chocolate Chips, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips for butterscotch chips. Proceed as directed above with peanut butter chips, shortening and the Goldfish.