Weekend breakfasts. Is there anything better than waking up to a delicious hot breakfast followed by a lazy weekend day? It’s pretty high on our list of good things.
If you recall my easy Baked Peach Pancake or Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole recipes you know I love easy breakfast ideas and this Upside Down Cinnamon Apple Cake with a delicious orange glaze is definitely worth waking up for.
Growing up we would spend most Saturday mornings watching cartoons and then, in the afternoon, the old black and white Tarzan show might come on. Life was a little simpler when you only had 3-4 TV channels to choose from, right?
These days our boys sleep a little later now that they are getting older (thank you, God) and we like to have a little down time on the weekends.
Making an easy and delicious cinnamon roll inspired treat is sort of like icing on the proverbial weekend cake.
This recipe only calls for FIVE ingredients not including a little butter- gotta love that. Fresh apples, Pepperidge Farm Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls, a little Florida orange juice, a little confectioner’s sugar and some fresh orange zest.
The great thing is that these Apple Cinnamon sweet rolls already include packets of sweet apples AND some icing so it’s a great way to simplify our morning so we just grab a couple so we have them handy.
Once some of the fresh chopped apple is laid into the pie plate, it’s then topped with a combination of the sliced up cinnamon rolls, the sweet apple mixture, a little more fresh apple, and then it’s baked to golden perfection.
It smells and tastes even better than it looks coming out of the oven. Such a great way to kick off a weekend and warm up your day.
The orange glaze is so easy to whip up using the included icing packets, a little confectioner’s sugar and some freshly grated orange zest.
Here’s to lazy weekend mornings and delicious breakfasts! What is your family’s “go to” weekend breakfast?
You might also enjoy:
- 1 1/2 cups Fuji or baking apples, peeled & chopped
- 2 cans Pepperidge Farm Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sifted confectioner's sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Zest of one medium orange.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 cup of the apples in pie plate.
- Open the sweet rolls and set the apple and icing packets aside.
- Separate dough into 8 rolls.
- Cut each roll in half and then cut each half into thirds.
- It's ok if they break apart, don't worry.
- Place all of the dough pieces into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup apples to the dough pieces and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix butter and the two apple packets.
- Microwave for 35-45 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Stir until combined.
- Add the apple and butter mixture to the dough pieces and toss gently to coat all.
- Spoon the dough mixture over the apples in pie plate.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Gently run a butter knife around the outside of the baked upside down cake to make sure the sides do not stick.
- Place a serving plate upside down over pie plate; holding both, flip to invert onto the serving plate.
- If the unopened icing packets are not yet at room temperature, submerge in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to loosen
- Squeeze both icing packets into a small bowl.
- Add the orange juice and 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar and stir to combine.
- If needed, microwave the mixture for 10 seconds or until it is able to be drizzled.
- If the mixture is too runny, add more confectioner's sugar 1 tbsp at a time and stir to combine.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little more orange juice 1 tsp at a time.
- Once ready, fold in the orange zest and drizzle over the upside down cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Keep leftovers covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place an individual slice on a plate and microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warm.