When you think of the word “Joy” what image does it bring to mind?
For me I think of the way my son’s faces light up on Christmas morning or the look on a loved one’s face as they first see their family member come into view at the airport after they’ve been gone serving overseas for months on end.
Tears? Yes. And pure joy.
It’s a bubbly emotion that is hard to describe, isn’t it? All I know is it’s a wonderful feeling and I wish I could bottle it and give it to everyone. I have a pretty close second place contender, though.
Today is part #3 of our Healthy Living, Healthy Home series and I am sharing one of my favorite essential oil blends and guess what it’s called? You got it. “Joy”.
It’s described as “a luxuriously exotic blend with uplifting overtones that creates magnetic energy and brings joy to the heart.”
I have to agree. With notes of bergamot, ylang ylang, lemon, jasmine, chamomile and more it really is such an uplifting scent.
Since I love adding a drop or two to my wrists for an added boost I thought it would be a great idea to create some Homemade Lotion Bars with my Joy essential oil blend.
These lotion bars are great to carry around for a little pick-me-up or an instant dose of moisturization on dry hands or elbows.
Even better? They are all natural and no added chemicals like you might find in many over the counter moisturizers.
There are homemade lotion bar recipes all over the place but it’s sooo important that you use high quality ingredients. I had several recipes bookmarked, but my favorite one I found more recently was at Pink When.
I changed it up a little bit to fit my mold and here are the simple ingredients (my affiliate links are included) you will need:
- coconut oil
- beeswax grated or chopped into small pieces
- Shea butter
- 1 tsp unscented carrier oil (or Vitamin E oil)
- 25 – 30 drops Joy essential oil (or your favorite scent)
- silicone mold
The easy recipe is below. I am pretty excited to give some of these out for Mother’s Day and to the boys’ teachers (who I am SURE could use a little “Joy” as they head into spring).
Just be sure to keep them in a cool, dry place and never in a hot car, etc. They will melt!! I keep mine in a sealed ziploc bag in my purse and the extras are in a glass jar in the bathroom for now.
If you would like to learn more about why we are using essential oils for wellness and a healthier lifestyle in our home you can read more HERE.
I have so many stories to share about how Young Living essential oils have really been life changing for our family and I’d love to answer any questions you might have.
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup beeswax, grated or chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup shea butter
- 1 tsp unscented vegetable carrier oil or vitamin E oil
- 25-30 drops essential oil
- Place your silicone mold on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, add the coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax.
- The more finely chopped your beeswax is, the faster the melting.
- Microwave for 45 seconds.
- Stir for one minute - you will see that the beeswax is melting down.
- If needed, microwave for 30 additional seconds.
- Use caution and mitts or a dish towel as the bowl will be hot.
- Stir until the rest of the beeswax is completely melted, approx. 1 minute.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes then stir in the carrier or vitamin E oil.
- Stir in the essential oil - I used 30 drops.
- Carefully pour the mixture evenly into the silicone mold - I find using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon makes it easier.
- Fill the molds to the top as they will shrink down slightly during the cooling process.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour before releasing.
- Chilling in the refrigerator after 15 minutes will help expedite the cooling process.
- Once completely cooled, gently pop the lotion bars out onto a parchment or paper lined platter.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
- *Another reminder to be careful handling the mixture when hot - think hot wax / oil
- *Just like any oil, coconut oil can stain clothing if dripped so take caution when making these.
Claire is a wife and busy working Mom to three boys and A Little CLAIREification is a lifestyle blog committed to bringing readers “Bright Ideas On A Budget” – from recipes, crafts and DIY projects to time management tips, meal planning and inspiration.
A self proclaimed CHEESE addict and lover of Sharpie markers in every color known to man, Claire also likes to throw a little fun and laughter in the mix as well.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.