Spring snuck in on us this past Friday and, as per usual, it lasted about one minute and here we are already in the upper 80’s – low 90’s in Florida.
The boys started their Spring Break as well and they were ready for the pool, of course.
They love that first “jump in” of the year. Crazy kids! Oh, and now we have to weed the pool patio since it’s really spring. Rats.
With the onset of warmer weather it’s time to bust out some chilly treats and one of our favorite things to make is gelato.
I’ll have to share more about our Italy trip one day but when we were in Florence we could not get enough gelato – I think we tried every kind!
When I was at CVS the other day I was really excited to see that M&M’s® Crispy were back – they are one of my favorite treats. I love the crispy rice center and I knew the boys would love these mixed into (and on top of) some delicious gelato.
Fortunately for Mama (that’s me), they not only have the larger bags for the recipe but they also have the small bags for a quick snack on the ride home. 😉
Making your own ice cream or gelato is super easy and this recipe has such a light and creamy base to start with. Mix in these crispy little treats… it’s so good and it’s a perfect way to welcome spring (or what feels like summer over here).
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups M&M's® Crispy plus more for topping
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and salt.
- Heat over Medium heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- Set aside and cover to keep hot.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the sugar and egg yolks together until very thick and smooth.
- With the machine running, gradually add the hot milk.
- Return the entire mixture to the sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6 - 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly into a custard.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set the pan into a bowl of ice water (an ice bath) to stop the cooking process.
- Take care not to get any of the ice water into the custard mixture.
- Stir for 2 minutes or so to cool the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, until thoroughly chilled.
- In a large bowl (we use our stand mixer) beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the cream gently into the chilled custard mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add the M&Ms after freezing for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the gelato from the ice cream maker using a large spatula or spoon into an airtight container, seal and freeze for at least an hour.
- Top with a few more M&M's® Crispy when serving (optional)
Hope your days are sunny and warm soon too! What is your favorite ice cream or gelato flavor?
You might also enjoy:
Claire is a wife and busy working Mom to three boys and A Little CLAIREification is a lifestyle blog committed to bringing readers “Bright Ideas On A Budget” – from recipes, crafts and DIY projects to time management tips, meal planning and inspiration.
A self proclaimed CHEESE addict and lover of Sharpie markers in every color known to man, Claire also likes to throw a little fun and laughter in the mix as well.