We’re planning a big “end of summer” fiesta over here and everyone is pitching in and bringing one of their favorite Mexican inspired side dishes. These Chicken Enchiladas Verdes Boats will for sure be part of the line up.
Salsa verde is one of our all time favorites and is the semi secret ingredient in this dish.
I am loving these little soft tortilla taco boats from Old El Paso. Where have these been all my life??
One thing we’ll have is a station where people can make their own hand held “boats” filled with their favorite meats, veggies and other toppings. For me, I need lots of avocados from Mexico and, of course, cheese.
The Chicken Enchiladas Verdes filling is so easy to make.
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 6 Old El Paso Soft Tortilla Taco Boats
- 1 Mexican Avocado, diced for topping (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded for topping (optional)
- Combine the first water, chicken broth, onion, garlic cloves and chicken breasts in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside, reserving the chicken stock. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, shred the chicken and set aside.
- Strain the chicken stock into a medium saucepan, discarding the onions and garlic.
- For this part you only need ONE CUP of the chicken stock. You can freeze the rest for soup or other recipes.
- Add the salsa verde into the sauce pan with the one cup of chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook until reduced down (about 5 minutes); Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy cream.
- While the liquid is cooking down, place the chicken in a medium bowl.
- Add tomato and tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes and cream cheese to the shredded chicken and combine.
- Spoon the creamy salsa verde mixture over the chicken and stir to combine.
- Spoon the chicken verdes filling into the soft taco boats and top as desired with cheese, avocado, diced tomatoes, black olives, etc.
Right now is a great time to plan a #summerfiesta of your own because Publix is offering exclusive savings on all of your Old El Paso and Avocados from Mexico fiesta fixings through August 19th. I even have a little $10 Paypal giveaway here to help you out!
Claire is a wife and busy working Mom to three boys and A Little CLAIREification is a lifestyle blog committed to bringing readers “Bright Ideas On A Budget” – from recipes, crafts and DIY projects to time management tips, meal planning and inspiration.
A self proclaimed CHEESE addict and lover of Sharpie markers in every color known to man, Claire also likes to throw a little fun and laughter in the mix as well.