Our friends are hosting an NFL kickoff party this Sunday and, while I really don’t personally care about the football, I am definitely excited about catching up with friends and all of the “game day snacks” that everyone will be bringing.
Those snacks, however, aren’t always the healthiest so Mr. Claire and I agreed that starting next Monday we are going to incorporate “Meatless Monday Nights” around here and so we tested out this Cheesy Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms.
Oh. My. Word. It was delicious. In fact, we each took it for lunch a couple of days this past week and it reheated and refrigerated beautifully. Bonus points, right there. I cannot wait to serve this up when it’s our turn to host a little Monday night football get together!
Instead of milk we used Silk Almond Milk because the slightly nutty taste pairs incredibly well with the fontina cheese and mushrooms. It’s not at all overpowering in this dish – just a little hint of sumpin’ sumpin’ that really works.
Wait… “what is polenta” you say? For those that have not tried it, polenta is is a central European dish made by boiling cornmeal into a thick porridge. Not only is it extremely versatile in that it can be baked, fried or grilled, it can be adapted in so many ways (serve under or on the side of your favorite protein, top with salsa, top with marinara, top with your favorite sautéed veggies, etc.).
So easy and so good and also very cost effective as well.
Now I can do meatless but I simply cannot do cheese-less BUT… if you prefer to make this dish completely dairy-free you can either eliminate the cheese altogether or use a vegan meltable cheese substitute and I’d recommend adding just a teeesny pinch of nutmeg into the polenta mixture.
Not sure if any of you are football fans but either way the holidays are coming so it’s definitely not a bad time to start incorporating a few plant-based meals into our weekly routine.
We portioned this into six serving dishes but, depending on how many friends you are having over, you could always serve this up in individual oven-safe ramekins as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz packaged mushrooms (we used a blend of cremini, shitake and portobellos)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Silk Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add herbs and garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/3 cup broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- Bring the almond milk and 1 1/2 cups broth to a boil.
- Stir in polenta and cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in half of the cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Divide polenta among 5-6 gratin dishes (or 10 ramekins) and top with remaining cheese.
- Place the dishes on a cookies sheet and broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the mushrooms evenly over all of the dishes.
This recipe is perfect after a little weekend “over-indulging”, by the way. Especially since I’d like to not “roll into the holidays”. I was thinking more of a sashay, how about you? 😉
If you’re looking for more #MeatlessMondayNight recipe ideas be sure to check out the Silk website and let me know if you have any suggestions for us to make on our new Monday night adventures!
Claire is a wife and busy working Mom to three boys and A Little CLAIREification is a lifestyle blog committed to bringing readers “Bright Ideas On A Budget” – from recipes, crafts and DIY projects to time management tips, meal planning and inspiration.
A self proclaimed CHEESE addict and lover of Sharpie markers in every color known to man, Claire also likes to throw a little fun and laughter in the mix as well.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.